Friday 12 December 2014

Portrait of a Lady (1968) BBC

Last night we finished watching the 1968 version of Portrait of a lady with Beatrix and Richard Chamberlain. I'm not normally a fan of that Mr James but I thoroughly enjoyed this! So much about women's rights and independence and wit and ability to make the wrong choices. Bea was wonderful as the eccentric rich aunt. I even didn't mind her fake American accent, I suppose having an American mother helped but it was subtle and not over done. Likewise I've never been much of a fan of Mr Chamberlain but he was lovely as the effeminate dying cousin. I adored his scenes with Bea, I like to think that as a young closeted actor and her being bi with a very famously gay brother the two got on remarkably well. The two women playing the young women were also really good. Very much one of those BBC dramas where people sit and talk in rooms but then I always love those.

No comments:

Post a Comment