Wednesday 21 January 2015

Beatrix's will

The copy of the will arrived today. It was interesting, if a bit disappointing. First of all it said that all her personal papers and letters went to her brother John. Which means they are all at his archive deposit in the states and NOT in the UK. Which is terribly disappointing. She gave Central her books about theatre, so was more of a special collections deposit, rather than an archive. Her address was the same one in Islington that I had previously. But Shelaugh wasn't living with her. At first it didn't look like Shelagh got the "bulk" of the estate but rather "carpets, curtains and electrical and other fixtures and fittings but also her dog!! (and Shelagh didn't live with her but lived in SW London). But then I noticed in the last paragraph it said that she got the house! (Which I have googled and is a very fancy lovely old house in Islington).

2 comments:

  1. Mel, I just tried to post a comment but I am not sure if it worked. So if you see another comment from me with roughly the same content, you can delete this one and keep the other.

    I wanted to say I am delighted you are doing research on B.L.; I knew her from Stones of Blood initially too and she sounds like she was an amazing person. I managed to find and purchase Rumour of Heaven once but have never found But Wisdom Lingers, to my disappointment. Would love to see some films she did in her younger years and perhaps I will get round to that eventually. With best wishes, Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I'm afraid the other one didn't go through.

      I'm glad to hear that there is an interest in the research. It is such a shame that But Wisdom lingers didn't get a reprint. But then it's main character was a bisexual woman, instead of a WWI solider so they probably felt it didn't have as much of an appeal but I really liked it. I think I managed to find my copy from a seller on amazon for half the usual price which was a great bargin. I should add my reviews of Bea's books, and the books I've been using for research to this blog too. There are a couple of her films on youtube, The rat she only has a few scenes in but plays a great character and Passing on the third floor back is also available which she has a bigger role in and from all the press reports on it was one of her more popular ones from that time.

      Delete